Thursday, June 21, 2012

Pass the ASVAB Exam - How To Have the Key Information At Your Fingertips During Your ASVAB Test

All the preparation in the world isn't going to help you pass the ASVAB exam, also known as the "Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery," if you fall apart while you're taking the ASVAB test. And why would you fall apart? There's a lot of pressure to do well, and stress often causes the mind to go blank, which in turn can make you forget key pieces of information. Read on to discover how to avoid all that...

I'm going to show you a test preparation strategy that can help you stay focused and calm during your ASVAB test. Don't get caught up in that vicious cycle of forgetting something, getting stressed by that fact, and then having your mind go blank completely. That's no way to pass a test. Here's what to do instead.

Write it down

This is a multi-step process, and it might seem like a lot of work, but trust me, it will help you enormously while you actually take the ASVAB exam.

I actually learned this (very legitimate) "trick" way back in high school and have taught it to thousands of students over the years since that time.

For me, my weak area was math. I was hopeless, and things got so bad that I was at risk of having to repeat a year because of my horrendous math grades. My whole outlook changed, however, when two things happened:

a) I got help from my friends, and figured out that knowing the formulas was key. I also discovered that once I knew which one I needed, all I had to do was plug in the numbers, crunch them, and voila! The solution appeared. It was almost like a magic trick, considering how helpless I used to feel.

I'll never know how come my math teacher wasn't able to make me realize these key principles. Anyway...

The only challenge left was to remember those formulas, especially during tests. Here's what I did:

I learned them by heart.

Ha, you say. What a boring "trick."

But wait. That's not all! On test day, the moment I got my math test, I turned it over and wrote all the formulas I had memorized on the back of the page. Only then did I turn it right side up and tackle the questions. And I did really well.

Here's how you can do the same thing, and not just for math:

Step 1: Make a list

As you prepare for the test, make a running list of any information that you'll need that you might forget if you got too stressed.

So for math, just write down all the math formulas and other things you want to be sure to remember and stash them in a safe place.

If you're concerned about your grammar, create your own legitimate grammar "cheat sheet" as well. It's not a real cheat sheet of course. It's just a sheet that contains all the information you want to have at your fingertips when you're taking the exam.

Repeat this for any other aspect of the ASVAB exam that contains appropriate information.

Step 2: Memorize it

Study that information. Learn it by heart. Review it often.

Step 3: Write it down

On exam day, the proctor will provide you with all the scratch paper you may want. Ask for it, and then, before you even look at the test, take a sheet of that paper and... write down all the things you have memorized.

Why? Because your brain will be able to retrieve it most easily while you're not (yet) stressed by your exam, so put it in writing while you still remember it all.

Step 4: Refer to your legitimate "cheat sheet" as needed

Once you have it all written down, you can refer to it as needed. It's right there, in writing, and it won't go anywhere, which should greatly reduce your stress.

And while it's a nifty trick, it's also totally legit since you have clearly written those notes AFTER you entered the testing center, on testing-center-provided note paper.


----------------------------------------------------
Ready to tackle the ASVAB exam? Get a jump start on preparing for your big test by claiming your no-cost ASVAB study guide and the accompanying e-course at http://asvab-studyguide.com/freestudyguide - and be sure to check out my review of the online ASVAB practice test resource center at http://asvab-studyguide.com


EasyPublish this article: http://submityourarticle.com/articles/easypublish.php?art_id=277158

No comments:

Post a Comment